State Certification Guides M

Montana HVAC Certification Guide

Are you looking to start a career in the HVAC industry in Montana? If yes, then you might be happy to know that there aren’t that many licensing requirements in the state, and Montana HVAC certification isn’t always needed. Moreover, you can earn around $25,000 as a novice technician. Meanwhile, experienced professionals can rake in $40,000 or more every year. In some cases, this could go up to $75,000! If this sounds lucrative enough for you, then you might want to consider working in the HVAC field. Despite the lack of licensing requirements, there are several other requirements you should comply with. Let’s find them out here.


Contractor and Local Requirements


You can choose to get an optional contractor license and work on your own. However, in the event you want to hire someone, obtaining a license is necessary. The license you need is basically a general construction contractor license since there is no specific license intended for the HVAC field, so this is not specifically a Montana HVAC certification.

If you need more information, simply visit the state’s FAQ section which can be found in the construction contractor page. More importantly, acquiring a contractor’s license will ensure that you can be part of Montana’s worker compensation program in the event one of your workers is injured while performing HVAC job.

As for the local requirements, each city within the state has its own licensing requirements and regulations which particularly apply to businesses. Cities such as Billings and Great Falls will require a business license as does Missoula. Therefore, it is only applicable if you plan to start your own HVAC business. This means if you just plan to be a technician, no Montana HVAC certification is needed.

Other areas may also have their own requirements, so make sure you check your local office first.

EPA Certification

It is mandated by the government that anyone who handles refrigerants should obtain an EPA certification in compliance with the regulations under EPA Section 608 of the Clean Air Act. If you obtain your EPA certification, you can choose from four different licensing types which will depend on the type of work you do and appliances you handle. For more information, simply visit our EPA Certification article. EPA certification is a national requirement, and not a Montana HVAC certification.


On the other hand, if you handle air conditioning systems in cars and other types of vehicles, you will need another certification under EPA Section 609. Check out the governments page on EPA here.

With great opportunities and a few licensing requirements, Montana makes for a great area to start your HVAC career. However, once you enter the trade, make sure you study hard and apply for an apprenticeship program if you want to progress further.

Meanwhile, if you want to start your own business, make sure you get yourself a business license and learn everything you need about business management. If you are going to cross the state boarder to Idaho, make sure you check out their HVAC certification requirements.