State Certification Guides A-F

Colorado HVAC Certification Guide

Colorado is just one of the few states where licensing isn’t necessary in the field of HVACR. However, if you plan to take on a large-scale project or want to be more knowledgeable about any possible issues, getting a license becomes important. Moreover, obtaining Colorado HVAC certification will allow you to advance further on your career even if you don’t deem it necessary.

According to recent statistics, the field of HVAC in the state of Colorado has a projected growth of 15% in the next ten years. On average, a contractor can earn around $45,000 per year with an initial hourly rate of $16.50. Senior professionals with experience, on the other hand, earn up to nearly $37 per hour. To get to those senior roles, Colorado HVAC certification is not required, but will definitely help.

Relevant Licenses for Colorado HVAC Certification

Two different areas that are some what related will require licensing are plumbing and electrical work. For example, since HVAC can sometimes involve plumbing works, you have to check the requirements for a plumber on Colorado’s official website. This is the same for electrical works which are also regulated by the state of Colorado as well.

However, electrical work that is interconnected with heating systems counts as a qualifying experience if you want to obtain your license as one of these three jobs: a journeyman, residential wireman, or master electrician. Each city within Colorado may have its own set of regulations, thus you have to check within your locality first; this applies to counties as well. It is clear from this how tough the regulations are to understand, so if you obtain Colorado HVAC certification, you won’t have to worry.

You can apply for license reciprocity if you have worked at least as a journeyman electrician in one of the states listed below:

Since Denver is the state’s biggest city, we’ll just give an overview of what they stipulate that you would need to work here. The city offers four different licensing classes for HVAC; namely, Class A and Class B supervisor, journeyman, and residential. Meanwhile, licensing for refrigeration in the city is categorized into four: journeyman, Class A and Class B supervisors, and operator.

A separate license could be needed if you want to deal with hot water, boilers, and gas systems. Any additional information can be found on the city’s official website.

Business Licensing and EPA Certification

If you have your own business, you will must also apply for business license. You can’t find any state-level license in Colorado. Instead, you need to acquire your license straight from your local authority. Also, keep in mind that before you can work with refrigerants anywhere in the US, you need to have an EPA Certification first. This is as mandated in Section 608 by the Federal law.

Colorado HVAC certification